How to Buy a Military Phone Card
In just three simple steps you can begin saving hundreds to thousands of dollars on your long distance calls.
Phone Card Tips for Military Personnel & Families
- Phone cards purchased over the Internet typically offer more competitive rates and higher quality connections; compared to phone cards that are purchased over the counter (OTC).
- Purchase lower denomination phone cards and try to use them up during a single phone call. This tip may help you avoid additional fees to receive the minutes you have paid for.
- Some phone cards will provide very different rates if used from a payphone or cellular phone. Likewise, calls originating from a country outside of the US and terminating in the US will have higher rates due to international surcharges.
- Make your purchase based upon the type of phone call you will be making:
- US domestic
- Know how long your average phone call usually lasts so that you can select the appropriate phone card denomination (e.g. $2, $5, $10, $20).
- Know the per minute rounding for any card you purchase. For example, three minute rounding means minutes are deducted from your card in blocks of three, even if you make a one minute phone call.
- If you are traveling outside of the US, make sure you know if your phone card will work internationally.